Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    typewriter

Where to take a nice flat walk in Sebastopol --in the evening?

So...recently moved to a very hilly neighborhood in Sebastopol. I am an avid aerobic walker but my body issues are flaring up with my attempts to scale these great heights of S-pool.

I don't know Sebastopol very well so please help me! I want to find a neighborhood that is safe to walk in the evening/at night that is not so hilly. Or alternatively a good path that would be appropriate for a nighttime stroll. I go about 3 miles so needs to have at least 1.5 mi that is good, flat terrain. Or a nice place to do laps.

I'm near Fircrest Market so the closer the better. I feel ridiculous thinking about getting in my car to go take a walk...but if that's what it takes...

Also, if you have suggestions for good daytime walks with flat (ish) terrain feel free to post them here too. And somewhere local w/a treadmill that is affordable could be good, too, if you know of such a place.

Thanks!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Gratongirl

Re: Where to take a nice flat walk in Sebastopol --in the evening?

You cannot beat the Joe Rodota trail (behind FrizelleEnos/across from HopMonk) for a good, flat, (beautiful) daytime walk. Others from Sebastopol should weigh in on the best place for a nighttime walk...I would think that a loop from Fircrest to the High School and back would just about meet your needs and be about the right distance...highly visible and should be safe.

Ragle Park (daytime)has a really nice loop also, though slightly hilly...and for a treadmill, you cannot beat Langermann Gym at the corner of Ragle and Hwy 12...nice, dedicated people...good classes, and pilates included. ($45/mo) It's a great little gym.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by typewriter: View Post
    So...recently moved to a very hilly neighborhood in Sebastopol. I am an avid aerobic walker but my body issues are flaring up with my attempts to scale these great heights of S-pool.

I don't know Sebastopol very well so please help me! I want to find a neighborhood that is safe to walk in the evening/at night that is not so hilly. Or alternatively a good path that would be appropriate for a nighttime stroll. I go about 3 miles so needs to have at least 1.5 mi that is good, flat terrain. Or a nice place to do laps.

I'm near Fircrest Market so the closer the better. I feel ridiculous thinking about getting in my car to go take a walk...but if that's what it takes...

Also, if you have suggestions for good daytime walks with flat (ish) terrain feel free to post them here too. And somewhere local w/a treadmill that is affordable could be good, too, if you know of such a place.

Also...go to iWalk on the HealthAction site for walking groups in your area...you might find some group activities that work for you...

Thanks!

3. TopTop #3
    typewriter

Thanks! I will look into these suggestions. I appreciate you taking the time.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Gratongirl: View Post
    You cannot beat the Joe Rodota trail (behind FrizelleEnos/across from HopMonk) for a good, flat, (beautiful) daytime walk. Others from Sebastopol should weigh in on the best place for a nighttime walk...I would think that a loop from Fircrest to the High School and back would just about meet your needs and be about the right distance...highly visible and should be safe.

Ragle Park (daytime)has a really nice loop also, though slightly hilly...and for a treadmill, you cannot beat Langermann Gym at the corner of Ragle and Hwy 12...nice, dedicated people...good classes, and pilates included. ($45/mo) It's a great little gym.

4. TopTop #4
    LenInSebastopol

No point telling you about Cooper Road, not far down the street from you. We enjoy it and trust you do as well.
    And around the Community Park there's all kinds of walks, including Rodata Trail. The neigboorhood behind Sebastopol Hardware is good. Or go down to Graton and there's some trail down there, take Occidental Road for about a mile and on good a nice day you'll find it easily as a lot of walker/biker types will give you the sign.

5. TopTop #5
    typewriter

Thanks, will check these out, too. Not familiar w/Cooper Road so I'm going to investigate further...

Quote Posted in reply to the post by LenInSebastopol: View Post
    No point telling you about Cooper Road, not far down the street from you. We enjoy it and trust you do as well.
    And around the Community Park there's all kinds of walks, including Rodata Trail. The neigboorhood behind Sebastopol Hardware is good. Or go down to Graton and there's some trail down there, take Occidental Road for about a mile and on good a nice day you'll find it easily as a lot of walker/biker types will give you the sign.

6. TopTop #6
    scamperwillow

There is also the trail that starts across from Analy High School and goes through neighborhoods off-street for quite a ways. If you keep going, you will end up at Andy's Market for some evening shopping!

Also you can pick up the Sebastopol Walks book by Richard Nichols at the Chamber of Commerce office on Main Street. It has every possible walk in Sebastopol all mapped out with comments.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by typewriter: View Post

Thanks!

7. TopTop #7
    scamperwillow

Here's a blurb about Richard's book from the City Newsletter:

A new Sebastopol book has been published: ‘Sebastopol Walks’ by Richard Nichols. Nichols is a long-time Sebastopol resident who served as Executive Director of Coastwalk, promoting development of California coastal trails for many years. One of the inspirations for the book was author Edward Abbey, who said “Walking takes longer...than any other known form of locomotion except crawling. Thus it stretches time and prolongs life. Life is already too short to waste on speed.”

Sebastopol Walks is a guide to exploring Sebastopol on foot and includes information and maps about walks in Sebastopol and in Sonoma County Parks, coming in handy for visitors and residents alike. The City Community Development Agency assisted in publishing the book. Copies are available at City Hall for $3.
    (and as I mentioned you can get the book at the Chamber office too)

8. TopTop #8
    Shazam

The High School Walk, as we call it, is a wonderful one, but if you have a serious reason for wanting flat . . it isn't. It's a slow but definite grade the whole way, and when I was having shortness of breath/ heart issues it was too much for me!

===========
    There is also the trail that starts across from
    Analy High School and goes through neighborhoods off-street for quite a ways. If you keep going, you will end up at Andy's Market for some evening shopping!